Slide Show

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Gone Girl


If you've read my posts Sharp Objects and Dark Places, I'm sure you know how crazy I am about Gillian Flynn. Those two books, are the best books I've read lately, overcoming my love for Harry Hole too! Yes, yes, I shamelessly admit it. I love Flynn more than Nesbo.

And since I enjoyed her books so much, it was time to read Gone Girl!

The truth is that I was not as excited as I was when I started reading the other two books. Maybe because I had heard so many opinions about the movie and the book, that I feared the worst.
When I started Gone Girl though my doubts were dissolved.

The book is written in two POVs. There is Nick Dunne whose wife has gone missing and then there's Amy Elliott whose diary is telling us her story. Since the beginning of the book you realize that these two are not happily married. Something's wrong and combined with Amy's disappearance, you just can't stop reading.

Well, the first half of the book was very interesting. Some shitty things happened and Nick found himself in a tight corner. So tight that he could not breathe. The downside is that I knew about the major development that happens in the middle of the book. Honestly I knew about it since chapter one. It was just loud and clear to me.

That doesn't mean though I didn't enjoy the first half of the book! It was amazing! Flynn raises some very delicate issues about family, relationships, and personalities. She draws a very vivid picture of how things appear and how they can truly be. It's like peeking behind a closed door. And anything can happen behind sealed doors! Like it did for Amy and Nick.

I was so relieved that the book didn't end with that major development that I had already foreseen. If this was the case, then this book would be a huge disappointment. But Flynn knew this. She knew we could be able to guess a big chunk of the plot so she took a step forward and let us wondering.

And that what I call a great mystery book. You may know a thing or two but in the end, you can't see the bigger picture. And I didn't see it either. I was so eager to read the rest of the story to see what she got for us that I found myself hanging by her words.

This book proves that plot is not the main aspect of a book. It's crucial of course, but it's as important as the messages we get while reading it. If the author has to say something, then the book is twice as good.

I recommend this book not only because I am a huge Flynn fan, and because I enjoy her writing and twisted plots. I say read it, because it has a meaning.


And of course I couldn’t end this post without a quote from the book. So, enjoy!


Cool Girls are above all hot. Hot and understanding. Cool Girls never get angry; they only smile in a chagrined, loving manner and let their men do whatever they want. Go ahead, sit on me, I don’t mind, I’m the Cool Girl. Men actually think that this girl exists. Maybe they’re fooled because so many women are willing to pretend to be this girl. I used to see men – friends, co-workers, strangers- giddy over these awful pretender women, and I’d want to sit these men down and calmly say: You are not dating a woman, you are dating a woman who has watched too many movies written by socially awkward people men who’d like to believe that this kind of woman exists and might kiss them. I’d want to grab the poor guy by his lapels or messenger bag and say: The bitch doesn’t really love chili dogs that much – no one loves chili dogs that much! And the Cool Girls are even more pathetic: They’re not even pretending to be the woman they want to be, they’re pretending to be the woman a man wants them to be. Oh, and if you’re not a Cool Girl, I beg you not to believe that your man doesn’t want the Cool Girl.“

5 comments:

  1. You love Flynn more than Nesbo? Wow! I remember how much you adore the Harry Hole books, so Flynn's writing must be good to overcome that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry is still in my heart!:)
      But I loved everything in Flynn's books. Story, plot, characters, writing, twists. Do you read this kind of books?

      Delete
    2. I read a little bit of everything, but have a habit of gravitating toward the fantasy/horror genre, I must admit, LOL. (Some of my absolute favorites aren't fantasy/horror at all, though. I'm weird. XD)

      Delete
  2. I read this one a while ago, definitely an interesting one! I wasn't crazy about the ending though..
    Great review!

    Em @ http://theyabookbutterfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last words were not so fancy, but I think it fit to the whole point of the book.

      Thanks for stopping by, Em!

      Delete