Slide Show

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

On writing: Follow the urge

Everything happens for a reason, people say, and I agree. Without knowing the reason though, things may look hard or disappointing. But that is the time we have to insist because change comes through roads strewn with thorns. And what do we do?

“What are you going to do? Everything, is my guess. It will be a little messy, but embrace the mess. It will be complicated, but rejoice in the complications.”— Nora Ephron

True, right? We’re going to do everything and so the last months I had to neglect my writing. Just … the time wasn’t enough and when I had the time, something was pulling me back. Have you felt this urge to write, to start a new story or continue an existing one but you know it’s not the right time? I had this feeling of ultimate joy spreading in my brain, but like an invisible wall something was stopping me.  

So I stopped, because this is my writing tip. Don’t be stressed while writing. Don’t write because you have to or because you haven’t written for so long. If you don’t have a deadline why rush it out? Is it ready to come out of your mind? Words makes things real, giving them substance and existence. Take your time to make them whole.

Most of the times, it may takes a day for the idea to grow into my mind and then I’m ready to write, surprised by the developments. This time was different. I opened my Word file too many times and read again and again chapter 17 wanting to complete it, having ideas for its ending. But none of it made it words so none of it was good enough.

And I waited. Until the night before last.

The urge to write was there like the other times but accompanied now by impatience. I didn’t have a clear image in my mind but I started writing anyway. And the magic was back. It felt so good, so right and beautiful that I swear I almost heard the click! Things had finally fallen into place after a long month of chaos.

Happiness ran through my veins as the word around me faded. Like jumping in another dimension to a fake universe but so real at the same time. And the good stuff kept happening because as I was finishing chapter 17 the story surprised me. I mean it blew my mind. 

Meg was in a pretty tough situation but she chose her way out. To the last sentence I had a different development in mind, but a new one flashed before my eyes and I followed it. It’s like I took a turn inside a maze and for once I didn’t reach to a dead end.

And so Damaged continues.

I’m so freaking happy!

Tell me all about your writing… :)

4 comments:

  1. Yay you! So glad your writing clicked into place for you like that. I agree, that's always such an amazing feeling! And how cool that it was able to surprise you in a good way, too. It's freaky whenever characters end up being smarter than us like that, but freaky in a fun way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's freaky but beautiful!:) I had missed my writing so much.
      Have a great day, Heather.

      Delete
  2. It's funny how much we miss writing when life or our own heads get in the way. I'm so happy for you, Athina! Dead ends are so disheartening and to find Meg's next move is awesome! Yay for Damaged to continue on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robyn. I finally feel at peace.
      How about your writing? Any progress? :)

      Delete