Slide Show

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Daughter of smoke and Bone


Daughter of smoke and Bone. I’m sure many of you are familiar with this title. It’s a book I wanted to read for a while and I finally read it. 

It was good, maybe beyond good, it was great, but there are some things that could have been better. At least that’s what I think. 

So, let’s talk about it. What do you say?

In daughter of smoke and bone, we follow Karou. She is a seventeen year old girl, living in Prague, studying art school and everything seems normal. At least for her friends, because Karou is not a simple girl. Raised by beasts, called chimaera, Karou is running errands for them.  Weird errands like bring them teeth. All kinds of teeth, from cats to lions, which she does, without asking questions. What does she get in return? She earn wishes. Small, simple stuff that makes her laugh, revenge or play with others. And that is Karou, until everything changes and she caught up in a brutal otherworldly war.

An angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well. That’s how the book starts and it’s true.

I was intrigued from the moment my friend showed me this line. I read this book really fast and I enjoyed it. Karou is a very interesting character, with blue hair and dark eyes. I came to like her story and the magic that this book holds. It’s filled with magic and angels and demons.

Laini Taylor’s writing is unique, different than the usual which made me think about rules and editing. Bending the rules a little it’s part of the game, right? The story flows naturally and it’s hard to put it down. The scenery in Prague is magnetizing and the characters are amazing. It’s written by multiple POV’s which I love, and that way we see the whole picture, understanding the world building and be stunned by it.

Something that I missed was the details in some important parts of the story. I don’t want to spoil it for you so I won’t say exactly what I missed, but I needed to know what was happening. It’s about the magic. We’ve been told that something is happening but how exactly it’s a mystery. I’d like to know all the details because I feel that there is a gap in the story. If you rule this out, it was a great read and I totally recommend it.

So, have you read this book? What are your thoughts?
Did you feel like something was missing too? Let me know.

6 comments:

  1. I think the next book will answer to your questions; I loved it even better than this one and I hope you will enjoy it as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I just finished reading it. My question remain, but it was a great book. :)

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Great interview, Athina. As I said in the older post, I think you'll make a good marketer (Don't say you're not a good one) I like the way you talked about this book. It made me want to read it straight away. Well, this is a good addition to my ever-growing TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is a good book. I liked it particularly because it was different. It made me think. It was a good book to study. :) It's good to study, right?

      Thanks for stopping by, Kaykay.

      Delete
  3. I like how you examine the book as a reader and a writer. I'm intrigued by your comment about writing styles for this book. I really want to see what you're talking about. I'm reading the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews right now and there is so much magic that I lean forward while I'm reading because I have no idea what's going to happen. Anything is game. They just had a powwow in the mouth of a tortoise for goodness sakes! I hope you're doing well, Athina! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read this book I'd like to discuss it with you. I found Laini's writing style very interesting. I read the sequel too and I plan to write my thoughts on that too.

      How the moving's going?
      I hope everything is perfect. Have a great week too, Robyn.

      Delete